DigitalKoans postings will resume on 11/29/10.
Archive for October, 2010
The latest update of the Scholarly Electronic Publishing Weblog (SEPW) is now available. It provides information about new works related to scholarly electronic publishing, such as books, e-prints, journal articles, magazine articles, technical reports, and white papers.
- Library Technologies Support Analyst [Ball State University] http://icio.us/sf23bs #
- Drupal Software Developer [University of Minnesota] http://icio.us/h11ezt #
- The Open Internet Under Assault http://icio.us/kvfcqx #
- Barnes & Noble Unveils Full-Color, Android-Based Nook http://icio.us/zonteo #
- New Podcast Features Adam Farquhar of the British Library (Library of Congress) http://icio.us/cyehgt #
- Digital Storage, Digital Preservation (Library of Congress) http://icio.us/jts0f3 #
- Enabling Data Discovery through Virtual Internet Repositories http://icio.us/o4noen #
- DC-2010–Pittsburgh Proceedings http://icio.us/za5bfb #
- DuraSpace OR10 DSpace and Fedora User Group Session Videos http://icio.us/fuot4f #
- Digital Preservation Recorder http://icio.us/saooyj #
- Network Neutrality 101 – Why the Government Must Act to Preserve the Free And Open Internet http://icio.us/ckkt1c #
- Results of Librarian Survey on Usage Statistics http://icio.us/kxidjy #
- Just Published: Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2010 [EDUCAUSE] http://icio.us/vfbxsf #
- Appraise & Select Research Data for Curation [Digital Curation Centre] http://icio.us/aazdj4 #
- The End of the Public University in England http://icio.us/m4vepz #
- New Available: Presentations (Audio, Video, Slides) from the ITHAKA Sustainable Scholarship 2010 http://icio.us/5wmsop #
- ARL Announces 2010â€“2011 Board of Directors http://icio.us/eqhgyr #
- The Conclusion of Open Access Week 2010 (SPARC) http://icio.us/qnvmsb #
The California Digital Library is recruiting a Discovery and Delivery Services Programmer. Salary: $66,900 minimum.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
Reporting to the Technical Lead, Discovery and Delivery Services, this position is one of eight programmer/analyst positions in the Discovery and Delivery Services Group responsible for the technical design, implementation, maintenance, and operation of the CDL's bibliographic systems (the Melvyl Union Catalog, UC-eLinks, Request) as well as providing technical leadership in the design, development and implementation of new systems like ERMS (Electronic Resources Management System) and the HathiTrust a shared digital library being built by major research libraries.
Thomson Reuters plans to release a Book Citation Index in 2011.
Nancy Herther has interviewed Thomson Reuters' James Testa about the forthcoming product.
The Emory University Libraries are recruiting a Director of Engineering. Salary: $88,600-$124,600.
Here's an excerpt from the ad (job requisition ID: 19187BR):
The Director of Engineering will work with the Chief Technology Strategist and senior library managers to guide the organization in assessing key industry trends and defining technology strategy. This is a strategic leadership position within the team, with the opportunity to significantly influence the business, both in its daily operations and in its future direction. May design and implement specific projects such as digital repositories, image archives, and tools to support digital humanities.
Core Responsibilities include:
- As the overall engineering leader within the library Digital Systems Division, work closely with library senior leadership to define a long-term operational vision, strategy and execution plans for the division
- Lead teams of systems, software, and support engineers, with a balanced focus on products, processes and people leadership; and develop existing talent on the teams
- Plan and execute complex development projects
The University of Rochester has released IR+ 2.0.
Here's an excerpt from the announcement:
The new version has many new features and updates. These include:
- OAI-PMH harvestable
- Dublin Core mapping features for Identifiers and contributors
- Improved batch metadata manipulation – automated re-indexing enhancements (changing control lists forces re-indexing of all items that use changed data)
- Sponsor browsing / statistics
- Paging and Sorting for contributor pages
- Improved Search Engine Optimization(SEO) for better indexing of researcher pages and content within the repository
- Researcher page interface enhancements
- Content type listing and filtering at the repository and collection levels
- Content type counts at the repository and collection levels
- Increased download information and removal options for more accurate download counts
- Updated Help, Installation and User manuals
- RSS feeds for Collections/Contributor Pages
- Upgraded pdf/word/excel/power point text extraction libraries
- Updated user account management features
- Submission performance enhancements
- Improved home page module placement
- Improved change tracking
- OAPEN-UK: New Project to Experiment with OA Models for HSS Monographs http://icio.us/ztv3ms #
- Portico Introduces New Preservation Services http://icio.us/lpju5b #
- French Three Strikes Agency Getting 25,000 Complaints a Day http://icio.us/ca2lrg #
- No Base Station Required: Peer-to-Peer WiFi Direct Is Go http://icio.us/03dm1p #
- In Time for the Holidays, Borders Slashes Prices of E-Book Readers http://icio.us/mal5zm #
- Mellon Digital Scholarship Post-Doctoral Fellows [Occidental College] http://icio.us/ef4kij #
- ACTA and the Embrace of Big Government http://icio.us/f2wukj #
- Exposing Digital Content for Reuse (jiscEXPO) [JISC] http://icio.us/4mpwk5 #
- EFF Urges EU Data Protection Authorities to Call for the Repeal of the EU Data Retention Directive http://icio.us/1dupgn #