ARL has released "ARL Membership Refines Strategic Thinking and Design at Spring 2014 Meeting." Includes a video.
Here's an excerpt from the announcement:
Here's an excerpt:
ARL president Carol Pitts Diedrichs of The Ohio State University (OSU) convened the 164th ARL Membership Meeting in Columbus, Ohio, on Tuesday afternoon, May 6, 2014. Almost all of the program sessions at this meeting focused on the current ARL strategic thinking and design process, upon which the Association embarked in the fall of 2013 to define its role in higher education and to maximize ARLâ€™s ability to be agile and responsive to changing priorities and member needs. . . .
Throughout the spring, ARL design meeting participants began creating a system of action to help research libraries and ARL effect radical change and achieve their desired vision. Six potential components of a system of action were presented to the ARL membership on May 6:
- Coordinated Management of Collective Collections—federate networks of print repositories, digital repositories, data repositories.
- Scholarly Publishing at Scale (Short + Long Forms)—bring scholarly publishing back home to the academy with shared-infrastructure press.
- ARL Academy—reshaping the profession by developing new leaders and leadership teams, establishing an agency with a talent pool to be drawn on by libraries.
- Boundless Symposium—orchestrate meta-collaborations and meta-conversations across institutional boundaries to build new insights.
- First Suite of Smart Libraries—design, fund, and build a coalition of libraries that create personalized content delivery.
- Innovation Lab and (Venture) Capital Fund—create a think tank and pop-up innovation labs, use investment to spur innovation.