Indiana University Bloomington has released its Media Preservation Survey.
Here's an excerpt:
The survey task force recommends a number of actions to facilitate the time-critical process of rescuing IUB’s audio, video, and film media.
- Appoint a campus-wide taskforce to advise
- the development of priorities for preservation action
- the development of a campus-wide preservation plan
- how units can leverage resources for the future
- Create a centralized media preservation and digitization center that will serve the entire campus, using international standards for preservation transfer. As part of the planning for this center, hire a
- media preservation specialist
- film archivist
- Develop special funding for the massive and rapid digitization of the treasures of IU over the next 10 years.
- Create a centralized physical storage space appropriate for film, video, and audio.
- Provide archival appraisal and control across campus to
- assure quality of digitization for preservation
- oversee plans for maintaining original media
- Develop cataloging services for special collections to improve intellectual control to
- accelerate research opportunities
- improve access.