- Emerging Technologies Librarian [NASA Langley Technical Library] http://icio.us/1mkeqq #
- Publisher argues free access to research violates administration's transparency initiative http://icio.us/n1rk34 #
- Clearing up some confusions [Federal Research Public Access Act] http://icio.us/fh4kl3 #
- Lessons From 20 Years of Current Cites http://icio.us/utuaiw #
- National Leadership Grants, July 2010 Planning Grant Announcement http://icio.us/fzika2 #
- An Insider's View of the WIPO: Interview with Janice T. Pilch, UIUC http://icio.us/a4czii #
- Public Access to Federally-Funded Research Hearing Page with Testimony http://icio.us/kjaxfy #
- In Testimony, Publishers Say Public Access Bill Would Undermine Copyright, Scholarly Journals http://icio.us/gzfd0f #
- Now Available: Prepared Testimony (Full Text) From â€œPublic Access to Federally Funded Researchâ€ Hearing http://icio.us/yjnt4o #
- Scholarly Electronic Publishing Weblog Update (July 30, 2010) http://bit.ly/bZlKtK #
- Technology Librarian [Dexter District Library] http://icio.us/frhidf #
- Worth the Wait – installment #1 http://icio.us/b2hcwx #
- Automated Accessibility Analysis of PDFs in Repositories http://icio.us/vc2gve #
- Kindle 3 vs Nook, Sony Reader http://icio.us/khri3i #
- Kindle 3 Insights http://icio.us/0vwk01 #
- Breaking Down the 2009 DMCA Rulemaking, Part 1: Victory for Vidders http://icio.us/d0cvqh #
- American Physical Society Makes Journals Free–In U.S. Public Libraries http://icio.us/brabcy #
- University of Ottawa Press goes Open Access http://icio.us/5zrkkd #
- Emerging-technology expert calls for open access to academic knowledge http://icio.us/4lzvur #
- Congressional Hearing Over Public Access Filled With High Drama http://icio.us/bhcboo #
- Consultant for COILS (Colleges of Ontario Integrated Library System Group) http://icio.us/3ei2ce #
- Witness List for the Hearing entitled, "Public Access to Federally-Funded Research" http://icio.us/qfwfsx #
- Recent DuraCloud Presentations http://icio.us/b5lxft #
- Digital Projects Specialist [Univ. of California, Irvine, Req No.: 2010-0316] http://icio.us/wihi02 #
- Senior Assistant Librarian Repository and Digital Media Management [Birkbeck College, University of London] http://icio.us/3nntwq #
- Emerging Library Technologies Specialist [University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center] http://icio.us/ngtdhq #
- Associate University Librarian, Library and Learning Technology [McMaster University] http://icio.us/2vklt0 #
- University of Ottawa Press launches innovative open access collection http://icio.us/azjzxd #
- Librarian of Congress heeds LCAâ€™s requests, broadens exceptions to Digital Millennium Copyright Act http://icio.us/5miw0t #
- Historic Map Digitization Specialist [Stanford University] http://icio.us/m3fokb #
- Web Development Specialist [The University of Akron] http://icio.us/qflr04 #
- Digital Resource Support Specialist [Reed College] http://icio.us/li0qq3 #
- Recruiting for Digital Special Collections Programmer Analyst: California Digital Library http://icio.us/mmcxea #
- Library of Congress: Fair Use Lets You Jailbreak Your iPhone http://icio.us/looau0 #
- International Journal of Digital Curation Vol 5, No 1 (2010) http://icio.us/yl4zdu #
- DuraCloud Now Available as Open Source: Preservation Support and Access Services Built on Cloud Infrastructure http://icio.us/pos30a #
- Driving UK Research â€“ Is copyright a help or a hindrance? http://icio.us/bsmj0i #
- What the iPhone jailbreaking ruling means (FAQ) http://icio.us/ly5e2a #
- The Public Access Crusade of Carl Malamud http://icio.us/qgsbbx #
- Royal Society Endorses Immediate Green Open Access Self-Archiving By Its Authors http://icio.us/2pxeic #
- Digital Collection/Metadata Librarian [LAC Group] http://icio.us/u0b3cm #
- Systems Administrator (Washington Research Library Consortium) http://icio.us/otfrrp #
- Last Week's DigitalKoans Tweets 2010-07-25 http://bit.ly/9BxFY2 #
The latest update of the Scholarly Electronic Publishing Weblog (SEPW) is now available. It provides information about new works related to scholarly electronic publishing, such as books, e-prints, journal articles, magazine articles, technical reports, and white papers.
- Systems Librarian [University of La Verne] http://icio.us/4imklm #
- Vermont Digital Newspaper Project Librarian [University of Vermont, Requisition Number 033592] http://icio.us/mybhux #
- Director, Online Library Environment [Univ. of Virginia, Posting 0602481] http://icio.us/xjwoiv #
- Web Services Librarian [Commonwealth Medical College] http://icio.us/ioij1v #
- Information Technologist I [Michigan State Univ., posting 3991] http://icio.us/uodskz #
- Due process for file-sharers? http://icio.us/kfyysv #
- Research Library Issues no. 270 Now Online [ARL] http://icio.us/3tv1j1 #
- Applications Technician [University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill] http://icio.us/ijb1nv #
- With U of Tennessee Rollout, OCLC's Cloud-Based ILS Enters Early-Adoption Phase http://icio.us/k1sh5j #
- Driving UK Research. Is copyright a help or a hindrance? http://icio.us/mmrqay #
- 2010 Annual RLG Partnership Meeting http://icio.us/excorx #
- Systems Librarian, University of Texas at San Antonio Library http://icio.us/504lcq #
- [Google Book Settlement articles] [Against The Grain] http://icio.us/0azkbo #
- House committee to hold hearing on public access to publicly funded research http://icio.us/i1izxo #
- Systems Coordinator [Gwinnett County Public Library] http://icio.us/etv0et #
- Associate University Librarian for Information Resources and Technology [Old Dominion University Libraries] http://icio.us/dwnnuw #
- Head of Digital Programs [Amherst College] http://icio.us/lf1j3e #
- DigitalKoans Back on 8/23/10 http://bit.ly/c1WPh2 #
- Technology Services Head at Mugar Memorial Library http://bit.ly/c2ux0o #
- Presentations from the OAPEN Seminar http://bit.ly/cK5A2c #
- Institutional Repository Librarian at Boston University http://bit.ly/dBNYe8 #
- OpenURL Link Resolver: SFX 4.0 Released http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/2010/07/19/openurl-link-resolver-sfx-4-0-released/ #
- VuFind 1.0 Released http://bit.ly/9sKg0X #
- Web Services Librarian at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point http://bit.ly/cvGFe3 #
- ALA, ARL, and EDUCAUSE File Comments Supporting FCC's "Third Way" Net Neutrality Proposal http://bit.ly/c5sJp1 #
- Virtual Library R&D Librarian at Texas Tech University (2 Positions) http://bit.ly/9HIJIa #
- Preserving Digital Public Television: Final Report http://bit.ly/bfl6nG #
- Last Week's DigitalKoans Tweets 2010-07-18 http://bit.ly/cjAw1F #
DigitalKoans weblog postings will resume on 8/23/10.
Boston University's Mugar Memorial Library is recruiting a Technology Services Head.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
Guide assessment of existing and emerging library and information technologies. Lead project and implementation planning for library technologies. Provide coordination and programmatic guidance for the library technology services group (LTS), a multi-unit team, comprised of members from the University Libraries and Information Services & Technology. The LTS plans, deploys and supports a wide range of digital systems and services, including an integrated library system, WorldCat Local, link resolver, federated search software, institutional repository, search and discovery services, library web development, interlibrary loan system, proxy server, and staff desktop support. Collaborate with administrators, department heads and managers throughout all the University libraries and Information Services and Technology to adapt library services to the changing needs of faculty, researchers, and graduate students of Boston University and work with senior managers on the Library's other two teams, the Graduate & Research Services and Undergraduate & Distance Services to implement initiatives consistent with the Libraries’ strategic plan.
Presentations from the OAPEN seminar held on June 10, 2010 in Amsterdam are now available.
Here's an excerpt from the About OAPEN—Open Access Publishing in European Networks page:
OAPEN consists of a number of European university presses and universities, and is open to new partners. The publishing partners are all scholarly presses predominantly active in Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) and book publishing. Jointly the members have digital publishing programmes, conduct experiments with OA, make use of digital repositories, publish in different European languages, have a worldwide distribution network (including the USA), and cooperate closely with university libraries.
Boston University's Mugar Memorial Library is recruiting an Institutional Repository Librarian.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
Manage the Boston University Digital Common, Boston University’s institutional repository, including oversight of the repository, coordination with the Information Services and Technology (IS&T) staff that provides primary systems support for the hardware and software, outreach to faculty, content recruitment, documentation, publicity materials, training and supervision of support staff, and developing assessment measures for the repository's impact. Work with the Institutional Repository Steering Committee and with other staff to define and implement repository policies, workflows, and capabilities and with the AUL and IS&T staff to develop effective digital preservation policies and procedures. Responsible for ensuring that the Digital Common programs align with the needs of the BU community and that BU faculty, students, and staff are aware of and know how to utilize BU Digital Common services. Collaborate with the other department heads and managers on the Digital Initiatives & Open Access Team and with senior managers on the Library’s other two teams, the Graduate & Research Services and Undergraduate & Distance Services, to implement initiatives consistent with the Library's strategic plan.
The Ex Libris Group has released SFX 4.0.
Here's an excerpt from the press release:
Ex Libris® Group . . . is pleased to announce the general release of version 4.0 of its SFX® OpenURL link resolver, already deployed at over 1800 institutions in 53 countries. With the updated and enhanced administrative interface and the redesigned structure of the SFX KnowledgeBase, librarians benefit from streamlined workflows, new functionality, and more frequent KnowledgeBase updates for both hosted and local SFX installations.
New administrative functions—many of which are the direct result of feedback from the customer community—further emphasize the importance that libraries attribute to maintaining full control over the way in which they expose their e-collection to their users and brand the library’s scholarly services. And what’s more, SFX has been keeping up with the times. As the scholarly environment has evolved, configurations have been added to SFX to accommodate changes in library services and the development of new ones, such as the bX article recommender service.
Here's an excerpt from the announcement:
VuFind's long beta period is now over. Today, VuFind 1.0 has been released. In addition to improved stability, the new release includes several features missing from the previous release candidate: flexible support for non-MARC metadata formats, a mobile interface, Dewey Decimal support, integration with Serials Solutions' Summon, and more!
The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Library is recruiting a Web Services Librarian.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
The University Library seeks a creative and innovative Web Services Librarian to provide leadership in the vision, design and implementation of the Library’s Web site. This position works both independently and collaboratively in managing the Library’s web site, explores web and technology trends, and identifies what is suitable for our library and its users to advance to the next level in its virtual presence. This librarian also takes an active role in the library’s instruction program, reference services, and collection development, and participates fully in scholarship and service as a tenure track library faculty member. The Web Services Librarian works collaboratively with library faculty to meet the mission and goals of the University Library.
Here's an excerpt from the press release:
The American Library Association (ALA) filed comments(pdf) with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on the commission’s Notice of Inquiry (NOI) on the Framework for Broadband Internet Service, commonly referred to as the "Third Way." The ALA has a strong track record of advocating for an open, or neutral, Internet. The ALA sees the Third Way as the most appropriate level of oversight as it provides the flexibility needed by the Internet community and also provides key protections to guarantee the public has equal access to the wide variety of online content readily available today.
The NOI proposes the FCC use a set of six provisions from Title II, two of which are particularly important to the library community. The ALA comments bring attention to the significance of Section 202, nondiscrimination, and Section 254, universal service. Including these sections is paramount to ensuring that libraries can continue to provide quintessential services to their patrons.
The ALA has long supported the concept of nondiscrimination which treats all Internet content equally. Libraries across the country provide the public with access to high quality educational and recreational online content – at no fee to the patron. In fact, 75 percent of libraries offer access to online databases that include business journals, full-text news articles, and job certification exams. Libraries provide patrons with downloadable and streaming audio and video content, as well as E-books. The ALA cautions that without Section 202 on nondiscrimination, this educational and other content could be relegated to the Internet slow lane by service providers in favor of content from the private sector.
The Texas Tech University Libraries are recruiting two Virtual Library R&D Librarians.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
This position reports to the Lead of the Library Technology Management and Services Research and Development Team. The position ensures maximum interoperability of applied virtual library systems, solutions, data, metadata, etc., while engaging in innovative virtual library research efforts, including relevant assessment activities, and may coordinate virtual library development efforts. The position also engages in strategic partnering and collaborations across traditional and non-traditional boundaries, and engages in relevant scholarly pursuit and other professional activities and service in accordance with Texas Tech Library’s standards for promotion and tenure.