The University of Michigan Library is recruiting a Head, Digital Library Production Services.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS), a part of the University of Michigan University Library, is one of the nation’s premier organizations for the creation and support of digital library resources and infrastructure, with production level support for electronic library collections. Comprised of more than 20 staff members, including librarians, programmers, and skilled technical staff, DLPS is funded primarily with a base budget for both staff and equipment, and relies on significant grant and revenue funding for a variety of new and incremental initiatives. Staff members within DLPS have responsibility for creating online access mechanisms, and for significant digital conversion activities. DLPS provides these services to the University of Michigan as well as to other institutions. DLPS staff members play a significant role in the University of Michigan Library’s work on the HathiTrust digital library and conversion related to the Google Books digitization effort. Most conversion activities are conducted through a unit within DLPS, the Digital Conversion Unit (DCU). In addition to work related to HathiTrust, one of the world’s largest digitized book and journal collections, DLPS staff support several hundred thousand rich images in visual resource collections, large collections of finding aids, and contribute to the Library’s development efforts with many other formats. DLPS is also the primary development organization for DLXS (www.dlxs.org), a leading-edge initiative for the development of a digital library access system. . . .
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Library Information Technology, the Head of DLPS manages all operational aspects of DLPS, including:
- Management of more than 20 FTE staff in several functional areas;
- Budget management across DLPS ($1.5m of combined annual base budget, grant, and revenue funds), for both personnel and vended services; includes DLXS-related budget management;
- General coordination or direction of Digital Conversion Unit (DCU) activities in conjunction with DCU’s manager.
- General strategic planning for DLPS;
- DLXS development, planning, and outreach;
- A role on the University of Michigan campus and beyond (i.e., nationally and internationally) representing the University Library's digital library efforts and capabilities and promoting appropriate adoption in those venues.