The University of Illinois Library is recruiting a Visiting Metadata & Illinois Harvest Portal Librarian (one-year term).
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library seeks an innovative individual to provide expertise and guidance in metadata schemas and standards and to assist in their implementation within the Library. The Metadata Librarian is responsible for helping to plan and manage metadata production, harvesting, and presentation for digitization projects such as the Illinois Harvest Project. The Metadata Librarian is a visiting faculty position reporting to the Digital Content Access (DCA) Lead and Head of Content Access Management (CAM).
- Lead, manage, and coordinate activities relating to metadata harvesting and production for description, access and preservation of digitized material from the UIUC Libraries. Work with other Library personnel involved in digitization, metadata harvesting and production including providing training and technical assistance to other department and library staff.
- Work with the Digital Content Access Lead and Head of Content Access Management and faculty and staff in Digital Content Creation (DCC) and Content Access Management (CAM) who are involved in planning and implementation of metadata provision for digital resources, including the selection of metadata schema, data elements, thesauri, and development of crosswalks.
- Formulate, document, and implement the Library's policies, procedures, and best practices for use of descriptive metadata schemas (such as MARC, MODS, Dublin Core, and other applicable schemas), preservation metadata schemas (such as PREMIS), content standards (such as AACR2 and CCO), controlled vocabularies (such as LCSH, TGN, AAT and other applicable vocabularies) and transmission standards such as METS.
- Participate in the development of the Library’s digital content access strategy, for example the long-term planning for the Illinois Harvest Portal and strategies for collection level splash pages.
- Participate in metadata remediation, transformation, and creation using appropriate schemas to support the Illinois Harvest Portal and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library's growing digital collections.
- Create collection level records for the Library's digital collections.
- Assist in metadata harvesting using the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH).