PACS-L (The Public-Access Computer Systems Forum)
The Public-Access Computer Systems Forum (PACS-L@LISTSERV.UH.EDU) was a mailing list that dealt with end-user computer systems in libraries. Utilizing PACS-L, subscribers discussed topics such as digital libraries, digital media, electronic books, electronic journals, electronic publishing, Internet information resources, and online catalogs. PACS-L was published by the University of Houston Libraries. At its height, it had over 10,000 subscribers.
PACS-L was founded in June 1989 by Charles W. Bailey, Jr., who moderated the list until November 1991. The list ceased operation at the end of 2013. Digital Scholarship maintains a partial archive of e-mail files through 2010 and there is a searchable Google Groups partial archive of the Usenet version of the list.
The UH Libraries distributed The Public-Access Computer Systems Review, a refereed e-journal, Public-Access Computer Systems News, an e-serial, and the Scholarly Electronic Publishing Bibliography, an e-book, on PACS-L
The PACS-L moderators were:
- Nicole Abbott
- Amelia Abreu
- Charles W. Bailey, Jr.
- Marianne Stowell Bracke
- Nancy Buchanan
- Diane Gwamanda
- Jill M. Hackenberg
- Jack Hall
- Gretchen McCord Hoffmann
- Sara Holland
- Rafal Kasprowski
- Anne Mitchell
- Joan O'Connor
- J. Michael Thompson
- Linda Thompson
- Dana C. Rooks
The following articles discuss PACS-L:
- Bailey, Charles W., Jr. "The Public-Access Computer Systems Forum: A Computer Conference on BITNET." Library Software Review 9 (March-April 1990): 71-74.
- ———. Interview by Michele Cloonan. Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture 44, no. 3 (2015): 136-142.
- Crawford, Walt. "Talking About Public Access-PACS-L's First Decade." Information Technology and Libraries 19 (September 2000): 112-115.
- DeLoughry, Thomas J. "The Latest Scoop on Internet Resources." The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2 November 1994, A28.
- Tennant, Roy. "Remembering PACS-L." The Digital Shift, 30 November 2015.
The following articles discuss The Public-Access Computer Systems Review:
- Bailey, Charles W., Jr. "Electronic (Online) Publishing in Action . . . The Public-Access Computer Systems Review and Other Electronic Serials." ONLINE 15 (January 1991): 28-35.
- Ensor, Pat, and Thomas Wilson. "Public-Access Computer Systems Review: Testing the Promise." The Journal of Electronic Publishing 3, no. 1 (1997).
- Moothart, Tom. "Charles W. Bailey, Jr.: Editor, Publisher, Innovator." Serials Review 23, no. 1 (1997): 59-62.
The following article discusses The Scholarly Electronic Publishing Bibliography:
Bailey, Charles W., Jr. "Evolution of an Electronic Book: The Scholarly Electronic Publishing Bibliography." The Journal of Electronic Publishing 7 (December 2001).
Copyright © 2023 by Charles W. Bailey, Jr.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.