EDP Open has released Learned Society Attitudes towards Open Access: Report on Survey Results.
Here's an excerpt from the announcement:
Key findings include:
- Learned societies overwhelmingly agree that Open Access will inevitably place some learned societies' journals into financial jeopardy.
- Competing with large Open Access specialist publishers was also considered a significant challenge for learned societies.
- Gold Open Access is the Open Access method that is least offered by learned society journals, however nearly two-thirds of learned societies indicated that they would like to be offering this option.
- More than ever before, with so many journals being published Open Access of dubious origin, learned societies should look to endorse content with a stamp of quality and authority.
- Collaboration between learned societies could help in the transition to Open Access, by pooling resources and sharing complex tasks.
- Two-thirds of all learned societies are also looking for support on best approach to OA, and compliance with funder mandates.