- Call for Papers: APA International Conference on Digital Preservation and Development of Trusted Digital Repositories
- A Digital Starting Point for Preserving News
- Format Migration: More Launching Points for Applied Research
- Research Data Management Services, SPEC Kit 334
- Digital Preservation Business Case Toolkit
Elsevier has bought Woodhead Publishing Limited, including Chandos Publishing. Chandos is a major library and information science book publisher.
Here's an excerpt from the announcement:
Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, today announced it has acquired Woodhead Publishing Limited, an award-winning, UK-based publisher known for its high-quality content in the fields of materials science, food science, engineering, energy & environmental technology, textile technology and biomedicine. The acquisition of Woodhead Publishing also includes Chandos Publishing, which is known for its strong publishing program in library information science and Asian studies.
The University of Hawaii, West Oahu is recruiting a Head Digital Archivist.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
- Supervises the daily operations of the archive;
- Develops the archive's policies and procedures to guide all aspects of the archive's operations including collection management, cataloging, preservation, and access; . . .
- Oversees digitizing efforts including work with specialized preservation labs and vendors;
- Oversees the acquisition, installation, and support of hardware and software essential to the archive's operations;
- Develops a comprehensive digital preservation & access strategy based on best practices & national/professional standards & which includes long-term storage requirements, copyrights, metadata collection and development of a web-based virtual environment;
Pamela Samuelson has published "A Perspective on the Merits of the Antitrust Objections to the Failed Google Books Settlement" in the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology Occasional Paper Series.
Here's an excerpt:
This Article responds to critics of the antitrust objections to the ASA [Amended Settlement Agreement] by making three main points. Part II explains that Judge Chin's incomplete and unpersuasive analysis of the antitrust objections to the proposed settlement agreement is best understood as an effort to encourage the settling parties to adopt more competitive terms in any revised settlement agreement. Part III points out that the DOJ did not reach definitive conclusions on antitrust issues posed by the ASA. The DOJ was, however, obliged to submit an interim analysis because Judge Chin wanted the government's input before he ruled on whether the settlement should be approved and the DOJ did a creditable job under the circumstances. Part IV contends that there was more merit to the DOJ's antitrust concerns about the proposed settlement than some commentators have recognized.
The MIT Libraries are recruiting an Associate Director for Information Technology & Digital Development.
Here's an excerpt from the ad:
Reporting to the Director of Libraries, the Associate Director plays an essential role in shaping the future of the MIT Libraries' digital environment. S/he provides strategic direction to ensure that the Libraries maintain a scalable and sustainable technology infrastructure, provide reliable computing services for library users and staff including robust web and virtual services, and support expanding digital initiatives for strategic priorities that include digital learning, global engagement, scholarly publishing, and content management and curation services. The Associate Director will collaborate with the Director of Research to support the advancement of the Libraries' digital technology research efforts and to facilitate technology transfer into the enterprise library environment.
The latest issue of the Bulletin of the Association for Information Science and Technology focuses on research data access and preservation.
Here's a selection of articles:
- "Partnerships Between Institutional Repositories, Domain Repositories and Publishers"
- "The Relevance of Research Data Sharing and Reuse Studies"
- "Tracking Citations and Altmetrics for Research Data: Challenges and Opportunities"
- "The Research Data Alliance: Implementing the Technology, Practice and Connections of a Data Infrastructure"
- "The DCC's Institutional Engagements: Raising Research Data Management Capacity in UK Higher Education"