Neil Jacobs has announced on several mailing lists that Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic Aspects, which he edited, will be available on July 17th. As you can see from book’s contents below, the book’s contributors include many key figures in the open access movement. I’ve seen an early draft, and I believe this will be a very important book.
The book itself is not OA, but contributors retained their copyrights and they can individually make their papers available on the Internet. My contribution ("What Is Open Access?") is available in both HTML and PDF formats, and it is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
The papers in the book are listed below.
- "Overview of Scholarly Communication" by Alma Swan
- "What Is Open Access?" by Charles W. Bailey, Jr.
- "Open Access: A Symptom and a Promise" by Jean-Claude Guédon
- "Economic Costs of Toll access" by Andrew Odlyzko
- "The Impact Loss to Authors and Research" by Michael Kurtz and Tim Brody
- "The Technology of Open Access" by Chris Awre
- "The Culture of Open Access: Researchers’ Views and Responses" by Alma Swan
- "Opening Access By Overcoming Zeno’s Paralysis" by Steven Harnad
- "Researchers and Institutional Repositories" by Arthur Sale
- "Open Access to the Research Literature: A Funder’s Perspective" by Robert Terry and Robert Kiley
- "Business Models in Open Access Publishing" by Matthew Cockerill
- "Learned Society Business Models and Open Access" by Mary Waltham
- "Open All Hours? Institutional Models for Open Access" by Colin Steele
- "DARE Also Means Dare: Institutional Repository Status in the Netherlands as of Early 2006" by Leo Waaijers
- "Open Access in the USA" by Peter Suber
- "Towards Open Access to UK Research" by Frederick J. Friend
- "Open Access in Australia" by John Shipp
- "Open Access in India" by D. K. Sahu and Ramesh C. Parmar
- "Open Competition: Beyond Human Reader-Centric Views of Scholarly Literatures" by Clifford Lynch
- "The Open Research Web" by Nigel Shadbolt, Tim Brody, Les Carr, and Steven Harnad