Established in 1995, Stanford University Libraries’ HighWire Press publishes over 967 journals in digital form, with more planned for future release. Working with scientific societies and other partners, the press focuses on producing high-impact STM (science, technology, and medicine) digital journals. It makes a significant portion of the articles it publishes freely available:
As of 8/30/06, we are assisting in the online publication of 1,403,007 free full-text articles and 3,648,630 total articles. There are 22 sites with free trial periods, and 34 completely free sites. 223 sites have free back issues, and 851 sites have pay per view!
Under the guidance of its publishing partners, HighWire’s approach to online publishing of scholarly journals is not simply to mount electronic images of printed pages; rather, by adding links among authors, articles and citations, advanced searching capabilities, high-resolution images and multimedia, and interactivity, the electronic versions provide added dimensions to the information provided in the printed journals.
The My HighWire Press page offers registered users a wide variety of customized journal access features, such as a favorite journals page and e-mail or RSS table of contents alerts.
Given its long history and its success, a number of articles have been written about the HighWire Press.
Prior postings on this topic:
- Digital University/Library Presses, Part 1: ANU E Press
- Digital University/Library Presses, Part 2: Linköping University Electronic Press
- Digital University/Library Presses, Part 3: Newfound Press
- Digital University/Library Presses, Part 4: Singapore E-Press
- Digital University/Library Presses, Part 5: Internet-First University Press
- Digital University/Library Presses, Part 6: UTSePress