Ten university press directors have issued a statement about free access to scholarly journal articles.
Here's an excerpt:
- The undersigned university press directors support the dissemination of scholarly research as broadly as possible.
- We support the free access to scientific, technical, and medical journal articles no later than 12 months after publication. We understand that the length of time before free release of journal articles will by necessity vary for other disciplines.
- We support the principle that scholarly research fully funded by governmental entities is a public good and should be treated as such. We support legislation that strengthens this principle and oppose legislation designed to weaken it.
- We support the archiving and free release of the final, published version of scholarly journal articles to ensure accuracy and citation reliability.
- We will work directly with academic libraries, governmental entities, scholarly societies, and faculty to determine appropriate strategies concerning dissemination options, including institutional repositories and national scholarly archives.
Read more about it at "10 University-Press Directors Back Free Access to Scholarly Articles."